Instead of using the traditional beef, chicken or pork protein for your next summer barbeque, try tofu. Tofu, made from soybeans, is a complete protein and contains all the essential amino acids needed for your baby’s healthy growth. Choose firm or extra-firm tofu for best results, and look for tofu made with calcium so you and baby get a little calcium boost.
This pregnancy recipe’s spicy Thai-inspired marinade turns bland tofu into a tasty entree. Tomatoes, summer squash and zucchini provide fiber, vitamins A and C, and plenty of the phytonutrient lutein for eye health. Altogether, the dish is also a good source of folate, which is helpful in preventing birth defects.
Makes 4 skewers
Spicy Thai Marinade
1/4 cup orange juice
Zest from one medium orange
4 finely minced garlic cloves
1/3 cup light, low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
3 tablespoons Thai red chili paste
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, cut into 1 to 1 1/2–inch cubes (about 20 to 24 cubes)
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 12 chunks
1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 12 chunks
12 cherry tomatoes
1. Whisk orange juice, zest, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, chili paste, oil and brown sugar together in a medium bowl.
2. Place tofu chunks in a flat dish (9 inches by 9 inches, or 10 inches by 7 inches). Pour marinade over tofu, thoroughly coating all pieces.
3. Cover and refrigerate the chunks for up to 24 hours.
4. Heat grill to medium-high. If you’re using wooden bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
5. Thread four skewers with five to six cubes of marinated tofu (reserve marinade) and three each zucchini, squash and tomatoes.
6. Place skewers directly on grill grates and cook, turning once and basting frequently with the remaining marinade, until browned on both sides (about 3-6 minutes each side). Serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving)
15.5 g fat (2 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
21 g carbohydrates
14 g protein
705 mg sodium
595 mg potassium
126 mg calcium
2.8 mg iron
52 mcg folate
0 IU vitamin D
1469 IU vitamin A
61 mg vitamin C
4 g fiber