For that morning dash out the door, nothing could be easier than these 100 percent whole-grain bars. They’re a perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack recipe for busy new moms. Made with oats, whole-wheat white flour (it’s 100 percent whole-grain but with a lighter color and texture), dried fruits and almonds, these healthy treats contain fiber, iron, B-vitamins and loads of antioxidants.
Makes 20 large bars
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened slightly
1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 extra-large eggs
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
1/3 cup each dried tart cherries, blueberries and cranberries
1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
2/3 cup coarsely chopped natural sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 10-by-15-by-1 jelly roll baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat oil, butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is creamy. Add eggs and almond extract and beat well.
3. Add flour, baking soda, spices and salt and mix thoroughly.
4. Add oats, all dried fruits and almonds and mix until blended.
5. Spread or pat batter in pan. (Use back of spoon or hands.)
6. Bake 25-27 minutes or until light golden brown. Bars will appear slightly sticky in center with toothpick and may appear slightly puffed but will deflate once cooled. Be sure not to overcook, as bars harden as they cool.
7. Cool thoroughly on wire rack. Cut into bars. Wrap and freeze in a zippered freezer bag.
Nutrition information (per serving)
11.5 g fat (3.5 g saturated)
37 mg cholesterol
46 g carbohydrates
5 g protein
136 mg sodium
276 mg potassium
40 mg calcium
1.6 mg iron
17 mcg folate
6 IU vitamin D
774 IU vitamin A
0.2 mg vitamin C
4.5 g fiber