This fast, flavorful and easy vegetarian chili is a warm and comforting recipe designed for new moms. Canned beans are filled with fiber, protein and numerous good-for-mom nutrients, like folate and iron, and they’re so much more convenient than dried beans. (If you’re worried about bisphenol-A in can linings, note that some brands, including Eden Organic, use cans made without it.) Iron is critical to prevent anemia (you’re at extra risk during pregnancy and after birth), and the vitamin C from the tomatoes helps the iron to be more effectively absorbed. Even the garlic, onions and spices add helpful antioxidants. Rinsing and draining canned beans reduces sodium content considerably (by about 40 percent), so don’t skip this critical step.
Makes about 8 heaping 1 1/2 cup servings
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
3-4 finely minced garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
2 14.5- to 15-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground roasted cumin
2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4-8 drops hot red pepper sauce
1. In a large, 5-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium if necessary.
3. Add drained beans and all remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is completely hot and flavors are blended (about 35-45 minutes).
5. Refrigerate leftovers in tightly covered container.
Nutrition information (per serving)
3 g fat (0 g saturated)
49 g carbohydrates
13 g protein
612 mg sodium
1240 mg potassium
118 mg calcium
5 mg iron
08 mcg folate
1125 IU vitamin A
31 mg vitamin C
13 g fiber
Get more recipes for new moms at Baby + You